It is currently Mar 31, 2020 7:03 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

COVID19 Information Webpage | COVID19 Guidance Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 435  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2019 7:52 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Who Discovered The Nature Of Electricity?

Electricity is one of our greatest energy resources and one of the few natural energy sources.

Benjamin Franklin’s electricity experiments were the first scientific ventures into the nature and use of electricity and uncovered its true nature. They set the stage for much of the scientific and engineering development in the nineteenth century and for the explosion of electrical development, batteries, motors, generators, lights, etc.

All that was known about electricity in the mid-eighteenth century was that there were two kinds of it: playful static and deadly lightning. Benjamin Franklin was the first scientist to begin serious electrical experiments (in 1746). He was also the first to suspect that static and lightning were two forms of the same thing.

Franklin had been experimenting with Leyden jars; large glass jars, partially filled with water and wrapped with tin foil (later lead) both inside and out to form a charge-retaining rudimentary capacitor. A rod extended through an insulating cork out the top of the jar to a metal knob. Once a Leyden jar was charged with a hand crank, anyone who grabbed the knob got a resounding shock.

Franklin found ways to more than double the amount of electricity his Leyden jars carried, and he invented a way to connect them in series so that they could, collectively, carry an almost deadly punch.

Interconnected Leyden jars

He decided to prove that static and lightning were the same by designing a Leyden jar–like electric circuit to let electricity flow from clouds just as it did into a jar. Franklin’s “circuit” was made of a thin metal wire fixed to a kite (to gather electricity from the clouds) and tied to a twine kite string. Electricity would flow down the twine to a large iron key tied to the bottom. Franklin tied the other end of the key to a nonconducting silk ribbon that he would hold. Thus, electricity would be trapped in the key or in a Leyden jar if so connected.

When an afternoon storm brewed up dark and threatening a few weeks later, Franklin rushed to launch his kite. The wind howled and the clouds boiled. A cold rain pounded down about Franklin’s upturned collar. The kite twisted and tore at the air like a rampaging bull. Then it happened. No, contrary to popular belief, a lightning bolt did not strike the kite. And a good thing, too. A French scientist was killed a few months later by a lightning strike when he tried to repeat Franklin’s experiment. No, what happened that stormy afternoon was that the twine began to glow a faint blue. The twine’s fibers lifted and bristled straight out. Franklin could almost see electricity trickling down the twine as if electricity were liquid.

Franklin reached out a cautious hand closer and closer to the key. And pop. A spark leapt to his knuckle and shocked him, just like a Leyden jar. Lightning and static were all the same, fluid electricity.

The practical outcome of this experiment was Franklin’s invention of the lightning rod, credited with saving thousands of houses and lives over the next 100 years. More important, Franklin’s work inspired experiments by Volta, Faraday, Oersted, and others in early part of the nineteenth century that further unraveled electricity’s nature.

Franklin rod still in use today

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2019 7:30 am 
Slavery

Human slavery began in prehistoric times.

Roman slaves

Originally, it had nothing to do with race: It was a system of using prisoners of war as servants or laborers for those who had captured them. Other slaves were criminals or people who could not pay their debts.

Greek slaves

Ancient Greeks, Romans, Africans, and Egyptians enslaved whomever they conquered.

Egyptian slaves

In early European cultures, slaves were servants owned by rich people.

European slave

In the early 1500s, the Atlantic slave trade began when Spanish and Portuguese ships began transporting African slaves to the West Indies.

Portuguese slave traders

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2019 9:53 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
What about indentured servitude? If that would be reinstituted for people who can't fairly liquidate their assets for legitimate reasons (costing them their homes, e.g.), employers may never have to hire again, saving public assistance money. Sort of like community service hours ordered by a court. I'm sure it's impractible but... :?

PS, I am not a :snowflake:

And into the forest I go,
To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2019 11:00 am 
aspenleaf wrote:
What about indentured servitude? If that would be reinstituted for people who can't fairly liquidate their assets for legitimate reasons (costing them their homes, e.g.), employers may never have to hire again, saving public assistance money. Sort of like community service hours ordered by a court. I'm sure it's impractible but... :?

PS, I am not a :snowflake:

According to the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Indentured Servitude is just another form of slavery and is thus outlawed.

Post Posted: Jul 29, 2019 9:06 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I see. Oh well.

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Jul 30, 2019 7:36 am 
Do Zebras Use Camouflage?

Arguably, Zebras have stripes to make them blend in with the scenery and to keep them safe from attack.

This is very much like what soldiers do in wartime, as they cover their helmets with leaves and attempt to hide their artillery by drawing leaf-covered nets over them to blend them in with the scenery. This is called camouflage. Though the zebra doesn’t know this word, it practices camouflage very effectively. Since zebras live in the same grasslands as lions, their main enemy, this protection is very necessary.

Even though the zebra is a member of the horse family, its unusual color pattern sets it apart from its relatives. The zebra’s parallel stripes of black or brown on a white or almost-white background are like a design which covers the whole animal, even its tail, mane, and ears.

The zebra’s temperament is also very different from the other members of the horse family. Zebras are difficult to tame and train, and are savage fighters. In zoos, the zebra is considered a vicious animal, and its keepers always are on guard against a crippling kick or bite.

As with human fingerprints, each zebra has its own pattern of stripes. No zebra is striped exactly like any other, each is one of a kind!

In Depth

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 8:07 am 
Broken Arrow

Disclaimer: The lack of specificity in this
post is intentional. I don’t want to go into
any current events that might appear to
compromise national security. This post
only serves to alert you to their existance. - H

Since 1950, there have been 32 nuclear weapon accidents, known as "Broken Arrows."

A Broken Arrow is defined as an unexpected event involving nuclear weapons that result in the accidental launching, firing, detonating, theft or loss of the weapon.

To date, six nuclear weapons have been lost and never recovered. By some estimates, these missing weapons have a combined explosive force 2,200 times the Hiroshima bomb.

Since the location of a nuclear weapon is classified defense information, it is Department of Defense policy normally neither to confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons at any specific place.

In the case of an accident involving nuclear weapons, their presence may or may not be divulged at the time depending upon the possibility of public hazard or alarm.

In Depth

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 10:19 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Here's hoping they all have been lost at sea in unrecoverable depths.

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
That was my first thought, too.

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am 

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Possible increased incidences of lung (etc) cancer?

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
during my time in USAF, I transported MANY nukes in my planes . 6 each load , OR , 6 PLUTONIUM BIRD CAGES. I'd do about one speciasl weapons trip each month..It required a top secret clearance ratingf.
Those were great missions, 6Marine guards at my plane overnight ,till I got to plane at zero dark thirty ..loaded up , and we taxied to runway .
rain or shine , we went , Life was good to me back then.. :hugegrin:

Reply to topic  [ 5213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 435  Next