It is currently Jul 9, 2020 5:06 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

COVID19 Information Webpage | COVID19 Guidance Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 435  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Aug 1, 2019 6:19 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
They gave you top secret clearance?
Haha, of course I'm just hassling you (somebody has to do it). It sounds like you've lead a very interesting, fulfilling life!

banner yet wave ...”

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2019 7:01 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I could write several books on my military time ,,it was VERY interesting,to say the least ,,. Many NATO field mission, with ARMY , and with armies from many countries as well..but , we transported 'em all in US C-130 planes ,,I lived in Europe for well over 3-1/2 yrs ,,met my English wife there over 53 yrs ago,, been married to her 51 yrs now,,,AND SHE STILL NAGS ME ..LOL

Last edited by Mopar on Aug 1, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2019 8:18 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
The First Orchestras

You can probably trace the origin of the orchestra back to the origin of man, for we know that primitive people had crude instruments, and you can guess that they probably played together in groups.

However, the idea of a real orchestra had to wait for the development of wind and bowed string instruments, as well as a system of notation.

Chinese musical notations

In the 1600s, a French composer, Jean Baptiste Lully, arranged the first operatic (philharmonic) music, using stringed instruments plus flutes, oboes, trumpets, drums, and bassoons. As operatic composers like Bach, Handel, Haydn, and Mozart became popular in the late 1600s and early 1700s, the orchestra was enlarged.

Jean Baptiste Lully

Today, philharmonic orchestras abound in the thousands. The USA alone has over 1,200 of them, each employing between 50 and 100 musicians.

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2019 9:51 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
This is old news from June 22, 2019, but just too cool to not share.

NASA was able to photograph an eruption of the Raikoko Volcano from space:

The volcano is in the Kuril Islands, north east of Japan, south west of the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia, between the Okhotsk Sea and the Pacific Ocean.

The volcano last erupted in 1924 and 1778.

banner yet wave ...”

Post Posted: Aug 1, 2019 10:19 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Henry wrote:
Earth Overshoot Day Came Earlier Than Ever In 2016

Humanity's ecological footprint is bigger than it should be, and it's beginning to show.

An ecological footprint represents how much humanity demands from the Earth in a given year.

Right now, our demand is equal to what can be supplied from 1.6 planets, according to the Global Footprint Network (GFN).

Earth Overshoot Day is the annual day on which humanity has consumed the amount of natural resources that the planet can regenerate over an entire year. In 2016, Earth Overshoot Day came on August 8th, the earliest in history—not a huge surprise, since the day has crept up on the calendar since it was first recorded on December 19, 1987. From that day on, humanity has been heading in the wrong direction. In 2015, Earth Overshoot Day landed on August 13th. The GFN is asking people to live more sustainably and is requesting that countries make a stronger effort with renewable resources.

It's worth highlighting this every year. This year, Earth Overshoot Day was July 29 (https://www.overshootday.org/eod2019-july-29/) ... once again, the earliest on record.

Post Posted: Aug 2, 2019 12:15 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
aspenleaf wrote:
This is old news from June 22, 2019, but just too cool to not share.

NASA was able to photograph an eruption of the Raikoko Volcano from space:

The volcano is in the Kuril Islands, north west of Japan, south east of the Kamshatka Peninsula of Russia, between the Okhotsk Sea and the Pacific Ocean.

I guessing, it was a NASA weather scientist that wrote the bolded sentence!

The volcano last erupted in 1924 and 1778.

Post Posted: Aug 2, 2019 7:29 am 
After The Elephant, What Is The Largest Mammal In The Wold?

Since the debate rages on, I’ll throw in my two cents.

On average, the rhinoceros measures taller than the hippo, making it the second largest land animal by height.

However, on average, the hippopotamus weighs more, making it the second largest land animal by weight.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

Image Image
???

But always remember: Number two is never better than number one.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Aug 2, 2019 9:55 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Scalawagy wrote:
aspenleaf wrote:

The volcano is in the Kuril Islands, north west of Japan, south east of the Kamshatka Peninsula of Russia, between the Okhotsk Sea and the Pacific Ocean.

Ummm, no. :oops:

Wait, are you saying I should work for NASA? :lol:

banner yet wave ...”

Post Posted: Aug 3, 2019 7:46 am 
===============

*** Topic Revisit ***
er, somewhat.

===============

The Dead Sea

The Dead Sea is really a lake, not a sea, because it is surrounded by land.

It is six times as salty as ocean water, and only a few forms of plant and animal life, mainly brine shrimp, can survive in the lake.

Algea

Brine shrimp

It is salty because water never leaves the lake except by evaporation, a process that leaves behind deposits of salt and other minerals.

Salt deposits

Salt deposits

The Dead Sea, which forms part of the border between Israel and Jordan, is 50 miles (80 km) long and 11 miles (18 km) wide at its widest point.

Its elevation is about 1,300 feet (400 m) below sea level, making it the lowest point on the planet.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 3, 2019 9:27 am 
aspenleaf wrote:
Scalawagy wrote:
aspenleaf wrote:

Ummm, no. :oops:

Wait, are you saying I should work for NASA? :lol:

No, I'm suggesting someone has an issue with identifying east and west. :bash:

Post Posted: Aug 4, 2019 7:42 am 
Cayley, Lilienthal, The Wright Brothers… Who?

People rode around in gliders before the Wright brothers were even born.

In 1849 British engineer George Cayley built a glider that he tested by flying it like a kite. It had enough lift to carry a small boy briefly into the air, but it still wasn’t large or maneuverable enough to fly untethered.

George Cayley (circa 1840)

Finally, in 1853, Cayley built a larger glider and coaxed his coachman into climbing aboard it. The poor fellow flew 500 yards and into the history books. (He also flew into the unemployment line. Upon landing, he reportedly told Cayley, “I wish to give notice, sir, I was hired to drive, not to fly.”)

Other pioneers followed Cayley’s lead, including German engineer Otto Lilienthal, who regularly flew gliders made from waxed cloth and willow sticks, and of course Orville and Wilbur Wright, whose gliders advanced the knowledge of lift and maneuverability.

Lilienthal glider

In 1903, the Wrights took the next logical step by adding a small gasoline engine with a propeller to one of their gliding contraptions. On its first flight at Kill Devil Hill near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the Flyer, piloted by Orville, traveled about 120 feet at approximately 30 mph.

When Orville Wright became the first man to fly an airplane, he and his brother Wilbur became famous forever.

But that historic first flight wasn’t really much of a flight at all. The plane that Orville flew never got more than 12 feet off the ground. And the entire flight lasted just 12 seconds!

The brothers flew three more flights that day, alternating as pilots. The longest flight, with Wilbur at the controls, was 852 feet and lasted 59 seconds.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 5, 2019 7:30 am 
The Australian Aborigines

Today, the word aborigine usually denotes the original inhabitants of Australia.

They arrived on that isolated continent by boat from southeast Asia more than 50,000 years ago.

Through time, the Aborigines developed a complex and diverse culture made up of thousands of smaller groups, each with its own stories and myths.

At the beginning of the 1800s, the Aborigines spoke more than 200 distinct languages.

More than 400 distinct Australian Aboriginal peoples have been identified across the Australian continent, each distinguished by unique names for groups of people’s ancestral languages, dialects, or distinctive speech mannerisms.

In Depth

Reply to topic  [ 5217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 435  Next