It is currently Jan 22, 2020 10:46 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 5144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 429  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Nov 19, 2019 8:29 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
The Phoenicians

The Phoenicians, from Phoenicia, were a seafaring people who dominated the Mediterranean Sea for a thousand years, from about 1400 B.C. Skilled at navigation and sailing, they established trading settlements along the coasts of Lebanon and northern Africa.

The Phoenicians carried copper, tin, silver, olive oil, wine, glass, ivory, and other valuable goods from the eastern end of the Mediterranean to the western coasts of what are today Spain and France. To protect their monopoly in sea power, the Phoenicians spread rumors and false information about their discoveries and trade routes. They described oceans that boiled and monsters that lurked in the deep.

In 600 B.C., according to the Greek historian Herodotus, the Egyptian king Necho II sponsored a Phoenician expedition to sail around Africa. The ships traveled down the Red Sea and entered the Indian Ocean, where the crews planted crops, harvested them, and afterward made their way around the continent’s southern tip.

Necho II

After three years at sea, the sailors supposedly entered the Mediterranean at its western end—completing one of the greatest feats of ancient navigation. Herodotus, however, doubted that the expedition was successful. “On their return they declared—I for my part do not believe them, but perhaps others may—that in sailing around (Africa), they had the sun upon their right hand,” he wrote. Herodotus was describing the Phoenicians, who had sailed so far to the south that the sun shined from the north—a circumstance Herodotus thought was impossible.

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Nov 20, 2019 8:20 am 
Hot Air Balloons

Flying machines were invented at least 100 years before the Wright brothers’ plane made its first flight. They were quieter, more beautiful to look at and not nearly so bad for the environment. But they were a bit crude and harder to steer… just ask Leonardo.

DaVinci’s Helical Air Screw

Brothers Josef and Etienne Montgolfier came up with their invention after noticing that the hot air in an open fire made pieces of ash rise upwards. They didn’t want to take any chances though: instead of going themselves, their first balloon-flight passengers in 1782 were a sheep, a rooster and a duck, who flew successfully for 108 feet (33m) for over ten minutes. (The duck would have done better than that on its own.)

The first balloon flight with human passengers was made by Pilatre de Rozier and Francois d’Arlandes in Paris in 1783. Since the first balloons had a tendency to catch fire, the original idea was for condemned criminals to make the first flight. But Rozier and d’Arlandes decided to risk it and they made the journey themselves, without anything catching fire. Sadly Rozier was killed two years later when he tried to cross the Channel in a balloon.

Rozier dies

Balloons have come a long way since 1782: they’ve soared as high as 112,000 feet (34,000m) in 1961, and traveled more than 25,000 miles (40,000 km) on a non-stop journey lasting 20 days in 1999. The Channel, the Atlantic and even the Pacific have all been crossed successfully by hot-air balloon.

The fuel used for the Montgolfier brothers’ first flight consisted of old boots and bad meat. No wonder they didn’t fancy the trip themselves. Today’s hot-air balloons are fueled by propane, which isn’t quite so smelly.

Modern Hot Air Ballon

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Nov 20, 2019 10:14 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Henry wrote:
The fuel used for the Montgolfier brothers’ first flight consisted of old boots and bad meat. No wonder they didn’t fancy the trip themselves. Today’s hot-air balloons are fueled by propane, which isn’t quite so smelly.

I guess that depends on who is delivering the hot air.

Post Posted: Nov 20, 2019 10:53 am 
keg wrote:
Henry wrote:

I guess that depends on who is delivering the hot air.

Some blowhard, no doubt. :hugegrin:

Post Posted: Nov 21, 2019 8:29 am 
===============

** Topic Revisit **

===============

Hiroo Onoda

One of the last World War II Japanese soldiers, Hiroo Onoda, surrendered in 1974. Only Private Teruo Nakamura, arrested in December of that same year, held out for longer.

Hiroo Onoda

Apparently, somebody neglected to tell Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda that the war had ended.

He stayed at his post on Lubang Island in the Philippines, and held out for almost 30 more years. Onoda’s three decades spent in the jungle – initially with three comrades and finally alone – came to be seen as an example of the extraordinary lengths to which some Japanese soldiers would go to demonstrate their loyalty to the then emperor, and in whose name they fought.

Refusing to believe that the war had ended with Japan’s defeat in August 1945, Onoda drew on his training in guerilla warfare to kill as many as 30 people whom he mistakenly believed to be enemy soldiers. He was only persuaded to surrender when his former commanding officer traveled to his hideout on the island of Lubang in the north-western Philippines and convinced him that the war had ended.

When he finally was coaxed out by his long-retired commanding officer and learned the war was over, Onoda was too overwhelmed to adapt to all of the changes. He retired to a quiet, rural ranch in Brazil, but returned to Japan in 1984. (Although he had killed people and engaged in shootouts with the police, the circumstances (namely, that he believed that the war was still ongoing) were taken into consideration, and Onoda received a pardon from then-President Ferdinand Marcos.)

Onoda died of heart failure on January 16, 2014. He was 91 years-old.

In Depth

Post Posted: Nov 22, 2019 8:10 am 
Ludlow, Colorado

Colorado is home to 1,500 ghost towns, many of which came and went with the Gold Rush, while others have an even more unique story. Today’s highlighted town is just that: a small, Colorado town that no longer exists, but has a story that is both unique and downright creepy.

This, located near Trinidad, is all that remains of Ludlow — a once bustling ghost town that housed more than 1,200 families who worked in the nearby coal mines.

While this ghost town is now both tranquil and beautiful among the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, it holds a dark secret you would never guess. It is the site of one of the worst massacres in state history.

Sangre De Cristo Mtns

Beginning in 1910, the resident coal miners grew unhappy over their dangerous working conditions and began to debate a strike. By 1913, a strike had begun, much to the dismay of owner John D. Rockefeller Jr.

John D. Rockefeller Jr.

When tensions did not diffuse on their own, the mining company called in the controversial Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency, known for breaking up strikes with such tactics as shooting at tents and threatening families with their steel-covered car that had a machine gun mounted to the top.

The underhanded tactics only made the strikers more angry, which resulted in the agency calling in the Colorado National Guard. The Guard assisted in setting up machine guns along the outskirts of the campsite in an effort to end the strike — one way or another.

On the morning of April 20, 1914, gunfire erupted on the campsite and lasted the entire day, killing four miners, four women, and 11 children who were hiding in their tents during the rampage.

Once the gunfire ended, the site was burned to the ground and looted by company militia and non-union coal miners, leaving behind almost nothing. The following days resulted in the bloody Colorado Coalfield War, where miners attacked other Colorado camps and set fire to company buildings. The bloodbath lasted for 10 days and resulted in more than 50 deaths.

The fighting only ceased when President Woodrow Wilson sent in Federal troops to diffuse the situation. As a result, several members of the militia we arrested.

When you visit this quiet ghost town, be sure to visit the Ludlow Tent Colony Site. It was purchased by the United Mine Workers of America in 1916. The memorial on the site was erected in 1918 to remember those who died during the strike.

In Depth

Post Posted: Nov 22, 2019 9:01 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
My grandfather was a union man, he wouldn't let my father join the Boy Scouts because the uniforms looked to much like the national guard's dress.

Post Posted: Nov 23, 2019 8:33 am 
Mount Tambora

The most destructive explosion on earth in the past 10,000 years was the eruption of an obscure volcano in Indonesia called Mount Tambora.

More than 13,000 feet high, Tambora blew up in 1815 and blasted 12 cubic miles of gases, dust and rock into the atmosphere and onto the island of Sumbawa and the globe.

Rivers of incandescent lava and ash poured down the mountain’s flanks and burned grasslands and forests.

The ground shook, sending tsunamis racing across the JavaSea. An estimated 10,000 of the island’s inhabitants died instantly. Because of the relentless spewing of smoke and ash, global temperatures dropped, making the following year (1816) the “Year Without A Summer”.

The eruption of Tambora was ten times more powerful than that of Krakatau (aka Krakatoa), which is 900 miles away.

But Krakatau is more widely known, partly because it erupted in 1883, after the invention of the telegraph, which spread the news quickly.

Krakatau

Word of Tambora traveled no faster than a sailing ship, limiting its notoriety.

Tambora today

In Depth

Post Posted: Nov 23, 2019 4:06 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I put Ludlow on my places to go list. Sounds fascinating!

Tambora isn’t as familiar to me. I thought it was Vesuvius. I’ve been wondering what caused the “little ice age”. You answered it for me.

ETA - Oops! I just found I was off by centuries for the time of the “Little Ice Age”. Back to google. :lol:

Post Posted: Nov 24, 2019 8:12 am 
Where Are We Now?

We are here.

Post Posted: Nov 24, 2019 12:16 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Won't you be my neighbor?

https://youtu.be/hTevoLkcFdI

Who hasn't seen Mr. Rogers (those in my generation, at least)?

Fred Rogers was American television personality, musician, puppeteer, writer, producer, and Presbyterian minister.
His program ran from 1968 to 2001.

At the beginning of every show, he took off his suit jacket and changed into a sweater.
Until her death, every sweater had been made by his mom.

and changed his dress shoes for tennis shoes.
This was so that he could walk around backstage quietly to use the puppets.

A movie has just been released about him, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"

It stars Tom Hanks. Good resemblance.

Post Posted: Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm 
I read somewhere that Mr. Rogers and Tom Hanks were actually cousins.

Reply to topic  [ 5144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 429  Next