It is currently Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: I guess we have a cat now? (photos added)
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 6:35 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
A couple of weeks ago, we were in our front yard and this smallish gray and white cat jumped up in my lap and started purring. Cute little guy so we pet him and talked and played with him and told him to go home.

Guess who never left? Of course we have no cat food so fed him with a can of very expensive tuna that I had - low sodium and all that stuff and a bowl of water. We said good night to him and went inside.

Guess who was meowing and looking in the front door at 6 am the next day? Yep, another can of expensive tuna and a fresh bowl of water. We were going to the grocery store anyway so picked up a bag of Friskies dry cat food. I have NEVER bought cat food so I had no idea what to get him. Well, while we are at it, let's get him a couple of cans of cat food.

Well, several days later we are out of dry cat food - he REALLY EATS a lot! We loaded him into Daisy's carrier and took him down to a vet to see if he has a chip. NO - no chip so now what?

More dry cat food and a case of canned cat food. Other cats came around - MUCH bigger than him and he ran them all off. Mr DL made him a little tent by the back door and we brought him in the back yard. The back yard has a 7' stucco wall all the way around it. We heard other cats giving him trouble during the night - we went out and ran them all off and he went in his tent and went to sleep. Of course WE can't go back to sleep worrying about him.

Here we are about a month into our visitor. He is male and not neutered. Oh, and he has a name now - Barney - and he knows it too.

HELP - we are too far into this to send him on his way. We posted on numerous social media - no signs as the mailboxes are very strange here and really no where to post. He tries to get inside the house every time we open the door.

This is our plan:

1. Take Barney to the vet to be neutered and get vaccines, etc.

2. Once that is done, I guess we let him come inside the house but THEN WHAT???

We truly know NOTHING about what we need. Any help would be appreciated.

He is much smaller than the other cats we have seen - we think he may be less than a year old.

Our thoughts are that we will need:

A bed

A litter box - are there different kinds of litter boxes? The choices of the actual litter are overwhelming. All you cat owners, what do you use and why and/or what do you recommend?

Don't cats scratch furniture and stuff like that? Can we get him some sort of "scratching" thing for him to use?

We got him a collar but have not tried putting it on him yet. He loves to sit in your lap and purr but he also likes to play and he nibbles on us and can get quite rough. We are both scared to death of him - is that normal cat/kitten behavior or is he trying to tell us something?

PLEASE give advice - we need all the help we can get. But first pictures:

This photo was from the first day he showed up - just about 4 weeks ago. I think he has grown some since then.

What kind of a cat is he? Is he something like a calico, etc. What are these - descriptions of a breed? What kind does he look to be?

We have opened the gate from our backyard to let him go out if he chooses to. We left the gate open all day long. He runs out, looks around a bit and then runs right back to the back yard.

Please give us some advice and what you do for your cat - we can really use it right now.

Post subject: Re: I guess we have a cat now?(photos added)
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 7:18 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Bless you!!! Lucky Barney!
You are doing all the right things, and you will never be sorry. Just let him be an indoor kitty so he is safe!

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 7:38 am 
Ang will be a good advisor on this. I also have a deluxe cat litter box (don’t ask me why I have that) that I will send you. Barney hit the lotto ❤️

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 8:11 am 
Get him something he likes to scratch on. For things that you do not want him to claw up, Char had pretty good luck with this: https://www.feliway.com/us/Products/FEL ... SSIC-Spray

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 11:05 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks for taking him in! He's a good looking little tabby!
Good idea to get him neutered and checked out by the vet for a clean bill of health.
Bring him inside and keep him in. It might be hard for him since he's been outdoors for a while but he'll be safer indoors.
Get him a nice large litter pan and clean/scoop it daily. Many owners/pets end up with soiling issues that could have been solved if they'd just kept a clean litter box. Cats are finicky...would you want to use the toilet if there was already a big [piece of fecal matter] in there? Also, put the litter pan in a quiet place...no one likes to be disturbed while doing their business. We use Worlds Best cat litter. After many years of cat ownership, it lives up to it's name.
Get him a scratching post and a climbing tree. They like to have their own space up high that they can relax in and keep an eye on their surroundings. They need to scratch! Not only for claw maintenance but for stretching and strengthening their muscles. Please, PLEASE never consider de-clawing. There are other solutions and behavior experts (we know a few!) out there that can help with scratching issues.
Get him some toys! Look up "Da Bird" it's one of the best types of toys you can get a cat. Play time is very important for a happy cat/home situation and is a whole topic on it's own.
That's just the tip of the iceberg. I've owned cats my whole life and have been a shelter volunteer and foster parent for cats for many years. Feel free to PM me as you come across more questions.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 11:21 am 
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you for all the info!

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 12:26 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
DL, it is Kismet … you were fated to meet each other, and Barney couldn't be in better hands. I would second the suggestions for scratching posts and climbing trees, but don't get anything too elaborate (read "expensive") … it doesn't take too much to satisfy a cat in those regards. And don't bother buying a whole lot of toys … cats have no sense of value and will often prefer to play with an old cardboard tube or box. And a cat can be trained to not scratch furniture, although we have no experience in that regard … others will probably be better sources for how to do such training. I guess the one thing I would suggest that I haven't seen yet in this thread is to get him chipped … a collar with tags is a necessity (preferably a detachable one), but a collar can come off and, since you are letting him outside, I think a chip would buy a lot of peace-of-mind.

We had much the same situation, with an older "stray" cat more or less adopting us three years ago … but we could not bring him inside because our two existing cats would have none of it (cats can be excruciatingly territorial). We continued to feed and water "Cat" (the incredibly original name we came up with) for three years, during which time he would occasionally (but not every day) grace us with his presence. We stopped seeing him this past spring, and we feared the worst … but after a one-month absence he came back for one last day, after which he disappeared for good, and that one appearance gave us the belief that somebody else had more-or-less successfully adopted him.

I wish you the best in your exploration of the wonders of being owned by a cat. A lot of people are down on cats, but I frankly prefer them to dogs; they are not as needy, but they still have the capacity for giving you a lot of loving. Good luck!

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 12:32 pm 
Thank You DL for adopting that cute Tabby, you have adopted a life long friend

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 2:58 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
For scratching, my cat liked the corrugated cardboard things the best, she used them a lot more than the carpeted and sisal wrapped post. Also, they're cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about a bed, cats tend to lie down wherever they want. However a window perch might be a good idea.

I second the idea of not getting too many (or too fancy) toys. A cheap mouse or two he can bat around and some sort of fishing line toy would be a good start, you can get more once you figure out what kind of play he likes.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 3:53 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
We have had many cats and each enjoyed the same favorite toy. A paper bag left open on its side on the floor. That followed by a wad of tissue paper left under a table. And you probably won't have to worry about a bed for night sleeping. He will be keeping your feet company...

I so envy you for your new cat love. Each is so different and adds different joys and giggles to your life. Every cat I have ever loved found me, just like Barney found you. That cat was searching for his people like your hearts were searching for him. :O)
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 4:28 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
How sweet that Barney and you have found each other! Lots of great tips here.
I might add that you get Barney comfortable with you touching his feet, and eventually trimming his nails. This will help make his youthful playfulness less ouchy. The times my cats were picky about the litter box is when I bought heavily scented litter. I too say thank you for adopting him.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2019 4:54 pm 
Two of my cats started out that way. I love them very much. Thank you for opening your home and your hearts. I have extra of everything, so PM me if you want to come by and grab some stuff.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next