It is currently Nov 13, 2019 12:58 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Comfort for a dog with cancer. Update: we lost her.
Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Steve's boxer, Bella has been diagnosed with cancer. Medical treatment is out of the question. We want to do anything we can to help her feel as good as possible. She probably has one to four months to live.

She is on Predisone which helps her feel much better and will hopefully slow her weight loss. She has already lost 14 pounds down from 70 in three weeks.

We are giving her tasty things to eat like cottage cheese, boiled turkey and canned chicken. I was also thinking yogurt, thin mashed potatoes, applesauce, and vanilla ice cream. Softer things are better as the tumors are next to her jaws.

I've added a blanket to her floor beds for when she's not on the couch or bed.

What else have you done or would you do?

Post subject: Re: Comfort for a dog with cancer?
Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
oh no, Lisa...I sent this link to Jo via email.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I am so sorry to hear this, just too many of our pets seem to be getting cancer anymore. My Chow, and two cats only one cat operable and the cancer came back two years later. All three of them seemed to love a light (not hard) rub all over particularly along back and all shoulders. Cats, not on legs, Chow loved legs, even toes. He would close his eyes and sigh. I did this one or two times a day, it really seemed to relax them and help them sleep. Chow still wanted walks every day even though his back leg joint was mostly gone due to cancer. Vet could not believe he was still using it. Just like us, they all are different. Your baby might not feel like exercise. But since 3 out of 3 loved the massage I encourage you to try that.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 10:37 am 
Ang, thank you for getting my attention on this. Lisa, Steve, Kobi and Bella. I am so sorry to learn of this diagnosis.

When I was attempting to give Mighty Little Scout good quality of life with her cancer, she was on prednisone which did reduce the swelling of her tumors. Hers were mast cell. We were able to remove the first one successfully through surgery. The second one grew in her armpit and invaded all the complicated structures there so surgery wasn't a good option even to reduce it as by the time it healed, after putting her through the surgery, pain meds, keeping quiet etc..because we couldn't get it all out, it would have started growing back even as the normal tissue healed.

We started her on prednisone and as the tumor got bigger and started pushing out on her front leg we gave her oxycontin to keep her comfortable. She was a happy dog. The only side effect was the prednisone increased her thirst therefore she needed to go out to pee frequently. We got her a few good months until it was clear the tumor was also putting pressure on, or invading internal structures near her lower throat or upper stomach area. she would drink and regurgitate or eat and do the same. She wanted to eat and drink but it wouldnt stay down. Therefore her meds weren't staying down. This wasn't nausea, food and water just wasnt getting into her system. Plus she was very self conscious of making a mess. The decision for me at this point wasnt a hard one to make for her sake.

Bellas situation is different but maybe adding oxy would help her overall.

Oxycontin is well tolerated in dogs and made all the difference in Scouts comfort levels. She would be a little sleepy about 20 minutes after dosing but that was okay. And its not expensive at all.
Please know you have my love and support going forward. Im here if you want to discuss anything here or in private. :love:

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Oh aspenleaf - I'm so sorry to hear about Bella - she is a beautiful girl! Hold her memories close - it just breaks my heart when someone has to go through this! Our Daisy went quickly.............let me know if I can help you. :hugs: :love:

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 11:56 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Oh no! Topper had cancer in his mouth and I sold my truck to get him treatment. We got a couple more years after that but he was frail and had digestive issues. Dr Amy Norton was amazing at end of life. She will come to your home. Circle of Animals LLC. Praying for you!

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. I'm still recovering from losing my dog to cancer earlier this year.

I agree that massage is great therapy.

This is not so easy, but try to be happy around her. Dogs know what we are feeling. Think super happy thoughts/memories when giving her a massage. It will do wonders!

I'd stay away from feeding her any sugar or dairy products. You don't want to tax her system.

One of my dog's comfort food was oatmeal made with beef broth. Then mash in some cooked carrots, or sweet potato or pumpkin... but just a little.

Talk to your vet about B12 supplements or injections. Really helps with stress.

My heart goes out to you and yours.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 1:35 pm 
When my little Mojo was diagnosed with bone cancer on his chin in August, I was sent home with anti-inflammatory drugs and pain meds. I had a lot of soul searching to do the following week as regards to his real quality of life. Animals are so stoic in hiding their actual pain. In the end, it was Jo's handling of little Scout that helped me find my way. I wanted Mojo to go out as a happy boy, not lying there full of drugs, so I decided to let him go. I do not have any regrets. Three weeks later, I had to let Boo Boo go. They were both older and it was time. I have no regrets. I found out afterwards that I was under a whole lot of stress tending to them... jumping out of bed each morning, hoping they were OK and worrying about the meds.

there is such a fine line we walk at this time, but in the end, you and Steve are the ones that know this girl and what she needs. I am sorry you are having to face it after such a short time with her. I am so happy she found you two, especially Steve. I know they have been good for one another. hugs and love, you two.

I have these links bookmarked on my computer:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/well ... nasia.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ule=inline

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 4:16 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Devastating news, Lisa. :crying: I'm so very, very sorry to hear about Bella's diagnosis. :praying:

Wily's post - particularly the links - are more helpful than anything I could think of to add, other than this:

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 5:40 pm 
These decisions we make on their behalf are so nuanced to each individual pet and household.
Scout would readily take her meds in something yummy and was content and comfortable until she couldn't keep anything down. Even the day I choose to release her, she was in the yard listening to voles in the ground, alert, her tail wagging with interest and happily jumped into the car for her last ride. But I needed her go when there wasn't discomfort, for us both. Memories of Maddy being so sick and sad in hospital in earnest attempts to turn around renal failure to no avail, were still so fresh.

When Bug, one of my cats, was diagnosed with a bowel tumor giving her meds was a nightmare and she was so traumatized that she hide from me for days. When she did come out to use her box, if she saw she'd run away again. That was awful. I made the call not to medicate, even a steroid patch in her ear was more then she would endure. But doc assured me that the area of the tumor had few nerve endings and she wasn't in pain, she just ate huge amounts of food and didn't really absorb most of it so she was a little bottomless pit. But content otherwise and she went on for years until one day she past in her sleep.

I echo the thoughts of our friends here that Bella is so blessed to have landed with you both. Two loving humans and a sweet dog friend to provide for her needs. You will know how to best proceed and when and we are here for all of you through the process.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
So sorry to hear this. When Irving had cancer, I would sleep on the floor with him. Any soft food will do. Lots and lots of love. If there is anything I can do, please call on me.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Unfortunately our house pets have much shorter life spans than we do. I've lost a couple of dogs to cancer. Some wonderful ideas above to make Bella more comfortable! Do what you can. I'm sorry for the pain that you all bear.

And cherish the great times! I'll never forget Aspen helping my son (now 36) learn to walk. And Bridger - I guess Goldens are just born to please their friends. Always a Retriever. She came in through the doggy door and laid down under my desk hundreds of times. But once she had a bunny in her mouth. When I finally realized that she was showing me her catch, I ordered her outside and to release. She did, & the bunny ran away. In Bridger's last months I learned that a 15 year old Golden Retriever is only marginally slower than a 18" fawn. She came back after that chase empty.

To borrow a few words from Red Skelton, and many others -

God Bless.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next