It is currently May 29, 2020 5:53 pm 

Click here for the 2020 Gardening topic with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2020 Gardening
Post Posted: May 22, 2020 1:07 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Great suggestion Conifer. I may do just that. I have enough small pots and the plants are still small enough to do it.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 6:52 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Conifer4 wrote:
If the plants are small, I will often cover them with turned over pots or large plastic freezer containers to keep them dry. As long as the ground is warm this can also help keep them warm. Put a stone or brick on top so they don't blow off.

That is a great suggestion Conifer4 and should do the trick in many situations for those who will likely get a freeze/snow tonight into tomorrow. Much easier tp set up too!!

The NWS has modified the forecast.
They have reduced the chance of rain :(
raised the expected low temperature :)
also lowered the expected snow amounts :applause:

For those of us above 9000 ft looks like the predicted 6-12 inches of snow has now been downgraded to 2-6 inches.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 8:17 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Well it's raining pretty good here in Bailey now. My flower garden, I've got that plan all taken care of. Bringing most things in later this afternoon/evening and keeping them indoors until Tuesday. Will cover the deck boxes with my clothes as I've been doing for the last eight years. Strategizing the garden, based on everybody's recommendations. I will definitely invest in row covers for future gardens. As it stands right now, here is my plan and PLEASE, somebody holler if my plan is a disaster:
Carrots and radishes- barely up through the ground. Leave as is.
Rappini: all growing well, including transplanted ones. Will cover everything with five gallon inverted buckets. We have loads of them.
Will do the same with the cilantro.
Spinach: growing very well. Assume I should put buckets over them as well?
Since it is raining like crazy already, there is no way the leaves will be dry. Should I consider putting tarps OVER the buckets as further insulation against temperatures?
Conifer4, I will definitely be attending your garden class next spring.
Thanks to everybody.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 9:33 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
In my experience, spinach can take cold and snow just fine - if it's planted in the ground. Mine often lasts through several fall frosts. I've never had carrot freeze in the spring.

I am not going to cover or do anything with my new perennial bed as the plants have been growing here for several years. The plants should be established enough to be OK.

The HAGS bought plants for the Pine Post Office last Friday but we're keeping all, including the perennials, in their pots until after June 1. I won't put annuals (both garden and flowers) out until mid-June.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 9:37 am 
Looks like there is a break around noon here in Conifer. I plan to go out then and put the hoops up on the new beds I just planted in the back. Like TB, I don't plan to do anything to the perennial beds.

Time to plug in my heat lamp for the hummers.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 9:52 am 
Hopefully that image wasn't taken today, Wily. We were planning to hike at Flying J during a break in the rain but I'm not wild about hiking in slippery snow.

Looked at the webcams and none show snow. Whew.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 10:24 am 
HA! this was LAST MAY 2019 (5/9 to be precise)

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 10:42 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks so much. I will leave the spinach uncovered. Greatly appreciated. All my pots are annuals. I left all my beautiful perennial gardens in Denver:(

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 10:43 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
There's a big difference between frost, freeze and hard freeze when considering the survivability of garden vegetables.

Where/how you are growing your veggies makes a difference too; in the ground, raised bed, hoop house, containers or greenhouse. As soil temperatures are important too, as to how well they withstand the cold.

And of course the type and variety of vegetable matters too. Also if they are seedlings in the spring or well established in the fall. Some veggies have no frost tolerance at all, and some are quite hardy.

As for carrots, mine usually do just fine in a frost. They may not "look" good for a couple of days, but no biggie.

However, I've lost carrot tops (the green portion) many times during a hard freeze/snow. But they almost always regenerate if the freeze/snow only lasts a short time. And if there is sufficient "reserves" in the carrot root. However, I have lost a whole crop in a prolonged spring freeze. (Like one of my first years in Colorado when I planted carrots during a very warm spell in February only to lose them all in early April.)

After the freeze passes, I immediately remove the blackened leaves, rinse/wipe off the slime and then make sure they remain well watered. It may take a week or more before regeneration is visually noticeable, but it usually happens.

:cry: Well I can't do anything to help my garden today. :cry:
First thing this morning, I twisted my ankle and took a bad fall. I can't walk (ouch!)
Now I regret not prepping everything yesterday.

I'm getting some off & on light rain and some snow/sleet (but its not sticking). I hope Mother Nature is gentle with my garden.

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 10:46 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks CT. I'm going to try and post a picture of my set up. Might take me a minute or two to figure it out:)

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 10:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster

Post Posted: May 24, 2020 11:03 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
And here is my flower garden front patio from a year or so ago.

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next