results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2020 Gardening
Post Posted: Jun 21, 2020 12:45 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks TB. It is a bit of a set back, but yes I am confident they will do okay in the long run.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Today I had my first salad of the season where 100% of the greens were from my garden. Lettuce, spinach, arugula and mustard greens all picked about 10 minutes prior to consumption!!!! :hugegrin:

Feels so good knowing these are more nutrient-dense than anything you could ever get from a grocery store or even a farmer's market.
:multi:

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Sounds really good!

My gardening this years seems to be jinxed. Now, after going through all the trouble to put up the temporary electric fence, my solar fence controller died. We thought it was the battery and bought a new one (a 5 day shipping wait) but that didn't fix it. We let the solar fence controller charge the battery for the required 3 days before deciding it was a total gonner. So all this time was lost.

We ordered a new fence controller supposed to be here on Friday than have another 3 days to fully charge the battery.

So far, the deer haven't figured out the fence is just wires now and haven't been in my garden. But, last week, one did jump the double fence around my corn and nibbled the tops off of at least a dozen. I don't know if they will grow or not but plan to just leave them to see what happens.

Have I mentioned I am not fond of garden eaters --- better know as deer.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Bummer, you sure have had some challenges this season. :thud:

I have to tweak my solar fence system regularly. Mostly raking away vegetation. It's amazing how sensitive the system is to grasses/weeds/pinecones and other things touching the fence.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Today, an orange ladybug landed on my shoulder while I was watering the tomato plants, then it flew onto the plants. I love ladybugs. Later I was walking the property and there's a fern growing around one of the Aspen trees, a fern! I didn't know they could live up here.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm 
Your days sounds lovely and full of the simple things that bring joy.

We have ferns growing at the base of one of our aspens as well. It is a part of the property that stays "moister" than the rest.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2020 11:05 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
What kind of greenhouse can you put up here that won't blow away in the wind on a low budget.

Post Posted: Jul 1, 2020 11:58 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
That's not an easy question to answer.

But a "hobby" greenhouse, like you can buy from Harbor Freight is generally not good enough (poor choice for our area regarding wind load, snow load, season extension, etc.) without significant modifications and very strategic placement on your property. (But I do know a few people who have been able to make a "hobby" greenhouse work for them. They had "protected" locations to put them.)

Generally the most cost effective approach is to build your own. There are lots of free designs online.

But the first thing you need to figure out is what is your goal in having a greenhouse? Because costs are significantly different if you just want a "walk-in cold frame" (with 1-2 month season extension) or something for growing all year long.

I spent many months researching greenhouses before I decided what I needed/wanted.

At that time, I decided I wanted to be able to grow all year long and since I needed it to withstand 100mph winds I was looking at a pretty heafty design anyway. So I ended up spending a bundle on a geodesic dome kit (which sheds snow easily).

In hind sight, I don't need a 365 day growing season these days, as I can't get down to the greenhouse during the winter months anymore without paying someone to shovel the pathway after every snow event (and I simply can't afford that cost) ... it's much cheaper to preserve what I can from a summer/fall harvest and then go to the grocery store for fresh veggies during the winter months.

But don't get me wrong, I love my greenhouse and so grateful to have it. :hugegrin: :love:

I NEVER worry about wind or snow loads, it's a great place to over-winter potted perennials and is awesome during the summer for growing tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and other heat-loving veggies. And since it is so well insulated, I can get tomatoes planted in beds in mid April and extend the season into Nov with negligible heating costs.

But knowing what I know now, I would do it differently and could have saved thousands and thousands of dollars.

Post Posted: Jul 5, 2020 10:47 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thinned out my beets this morning and ended up with quite the pile of beet greens and very baby beets. I think I will pull the larger of them for dinner tonight, roasted baby beets with sautéed greens and walnuts. Clean up the rest and toss them in the fridge. May end up taking some to the local food pantry.

Post Posted: Jul 5, 2020 1:38 pm 
Wow, you are really far ahead of me this year! The tops look so green and healthy. I love beets but don't grow them; I've never gotten then to bulb to any size big enough to eat.

Post Posted: Jul 5, 2020 4:01 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:applause: :applause: Conifer4 :applause: :applause:

Far ahead of me too. Way to go!!
Can't wait to see your garden in the virtual tour.

Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21